Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Day Four, Big Bad Wolf

Day Four of blogwatch finds me running all over town, trying to find a CD with "Little Red Riding Hood" by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs. It's a quirky little song that I've always loved, and finally I decided to hunt down a copy. Not as easy as it sounds, though. Fortunately, we have a nice little independent record store here in town where they'll move heaven and earth to get what you want. I'm now the proud possessor of a "Silly Songs" CD that includes "Little Red Riding Hood." Not perfect...it seems to be a later remake by the original artists...but close enough for now. It also includes "Tiptoe Through the Tulips With Me" by Tiny Tim. I used to think it was funny when I was a kid, but now it's kinda creepy. I guess I'll just listen to Sam the Sham. :-)

Do you have favorite "silly" songs? Or maybe favorites from your childhood--did you sing around the fireplace with your parents, in the car on long trips, when you went away to camp? What part did music play in your early life?

Also picked up a havahart mouse trap. The plowing for winter wheat that occurred a few weeks ago drove field mice to try to find other suitable habitations. Unfortunately, they decided our garage was just such a spot. My husband put out traps, but I wasn't prepared for the guilt and sorrow of seeing those tiny little furry, cute, innocent-looking things in the traps. Hence the havahart trap. At least now we can trap them alive and release them in the woods, hopefully far enough away from our house to discourage their return.

Back to work now! Hope you're all having a lovely day.

Liz

3 comments:

Elizabeth Delisi said...

Thanks, Margaret, glad you like it! Your mom is lucky to own a vinyl version of Little Red Riding Hood. Does she still have a phonograph to play it on? Most of my favorite music I still listen to on LPs...and 45s!

Liz

Elizabeth Delisi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth Delisi said...

I know I posted a response, but apparently it disappeared.

If these songs are "before your time," maybe I shouldn't admit I was 11 years old when "Little Red Riding Hood" came out. So it IS the music of my time, and I love it. I find my kids know a lot more of my music than I knew of my parents' (big band etc.). I wonder why?

Liz