Wednesday, April 15, 2015

M is for The Midnight Zone

Conveniently located just after “L is for Lady of the Two Lands,” M is for “The Midnight Zone.” If you don’t count the “The.” :-D

Midnight Zone by Elizbabeth Delisi - 500

The Midnight Zone is my collection of quirky short stories. Some are lighthearted, others are bizarre and downright creepy. But all of them have a twist and are a little off-center. Here’s an excerpt from “Mirror, Mirror.”

Cassie opened her compact and peered into the round mirror. Her nose looked a little shiny. As she reached for the powder puff, a movement in the mirror caught her eye. She saw the waiter bringing a drink to the woman at the table in back of her. Served in a pineapple, it had two gaudy red paper parasols and a large pink straw sticking out of the top. Cassie watched, amused, the puff arrested in its journey to her nose.

Suddenly, the waiter tripped. The pineapple slid down the length of the steeply-tilting tray to land, upside-down, in the woman’s lap.

“Oh!” Cassie gasped.

“What?” Laura asked.

“Did you see the waiter spill a drink all over that poor woman?”

Laura twisted in her chair. “No. Where?”

“Right behind me.” Cassie turned around. The table was empty. “I guess she already left. Maybe she went to the ladies’ room to clean up.”

“I didn’t see any woman at that table,” Laura said. “Are you sure?”

“I saw it in my mirror.” Cassie held up her compact.

“Ooh, let me see!” Laura reached for it. “This is lovely! Where did you get it?”

“I found it last week in an antique store on the Cape,” Cassie said. “It was a funny little shop, full of all sorts of peculiar things. I liked the compact so much that I went back the next day to look for another one; but I couldn’t find the place again.” She shrugged.

Laura rubbed her fingers over the engraved gold case, then opened it. “Here’s your problem. This old mirror is so cloudy, it’s no wonder you’re seeing things.” She snapped it shut and handed it back.

“Here comes our lunch.” Laura pointed to a waiter carrying a full tray. Diverted, Cassie forgot all about what she’d seen in the mirror.

An hour later, the two friends finished their meal. On her way out, absorbed in paying the check, Cassie didn’t notice a waiter spilling an entire pineapple full of liquor on a woman who had just been seated.

***

To check out the reviews or to purchase your very own copy, go here: http://tirgearrpublishing.com/authors/Delisi_Elizabeth/midnight-zone.htm

Hope you enjoy my stories!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh this sounds fun! I like that twist at the end. Now I'm curious about the rest of the stories...Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

Elizabeth Delisi said...

Thanks, Lisa! The post was just the first part of the story...more twists to come! I appreciate your visiting and commenting. :-D