Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday Happies

In conjunction with my new "Monday Gripes" column every Monday, where I share a few of my pet peeves and invite you to share yours, I'm also going to end the week on a happier note with Friday Happies. I'll try to share a couple of good thoughts, positive emotions, or great things that have happened to me. Things to be thankful for. And I definitely want to hear yours!

Although I didn't envision it when I came up with the idea for this column, I'm happy to be alive and living in a safe area. After the devastating earthquake in Haiti and the horrendous loss of life, I realize how lucky I am to not live in an earthquake zone--or in "Tornado Alley" as I used to--or any place threatened regularly by Mother Nature's violence. And I'm proud and happy to see American's quick response to the disaster, pouring money and medicine and workers into Haiti, to help get her back on her feet again. I'm very proud to be an American.

And I'm happy that my family is whole and healthy and happy, and most of my family lives nearby. That's a blessing I never take for granted, but especially so in times like these.

Next week I'll return to more mundane sources of happiness. :-) After all, one of my firm life beliefs is that you have to appreciate the little things, because 99% of the time, that's what your life is made up of. But today seemed like time to remember the big ones.

So, what makes YOU happy?

No comments: