Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday Happies 1/29/10

Friday Happies time again. The thing I'm most grateful and happy for today is indoor heating! It's SO cold here today, only 15 degrees and with the wind, it feels like it's close to zero outside. I'm also happy that today I was driving the car with the heater that works! Lucky me.

Seriously, indoor plumbing and electricity and heat has to be one of the best inventions ever. I can't imagine what it must be like to have grown up in a home with only a fireplace and/or woodburning stove for heat. My mother tells stories of rushing down to the kitchen on frigid cold mornings to dress by the stove, as her bedroom was just too cold.

That leads to my second happy: I'm happy I live in a temperate zone, where winter is truly only one season of the year. Soon it will be spring; then summer; then fall. Just when you think you've had enough of the heat or the cold, it changes. What a great system!

And while we're talking about marvelous inventions, how about the microwave? I remember how troublesome leftovers were, when you had to either put them in a big pan in the oven, or try to reheat them in a saucepan on top of the stove. They'd stick and burn and make a mess, and just didn't seem to be worth the effort.

Now, I can put that leftover spaghetti or omelet or stew on a plate, pop it in the microwave, press a few buttons and, voila! (Practically) instant hot food. I absolutely love the microwave, and sure can't imagine any circumstances under which I'd go back to life without it.

What are your favorite convenience inventions--or those that you truly can't live without?

No comments: