Friday, March 05, 2010

Friday Happies 3/5/10

I'm still getting over the loss of Burt. So I'm not entirely happy for my Friday Happies. But I do know Burt would WANT me to be happy, and I'm trying.

One thing that delighted me today was seeing the sun come out, and the temperature rise into the upper 40s. It really felt like spring was just around the corner, and I'm SO ready for spring! I think spring will help me move on, give me something cheerful and warm to focus on.

And I hate to say it, but...TGIF. This weekend will be part distraction--we're celebrating my granddaughter's birthday--and part relaxation and de-stressing. I really need a break. And there's nothing like little arms flinging around me and little voices shouting "Nana!" to cheer me up.

There's also nothing like settling down with a cup of tea, some knitting, and a favorite old movie. When I'm depressed, I like to watch musicals or romantic comedies. They both pull me right out of a funk.

My favorite musicals are "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," "The King and I," and "West Side Story." Of course, the last two have teary endings...but that can be cathartic, crying over someone else's troubles instead of your own.

And for romantic comedies, give me "French Kiss," or anything with Julia Roberts in it!

What are your favorite ways to indulge yourself and get out of a blue mood? I'm always open to new suggestions!

4 comments:

Cocoonivus said...

Movie musicals work for me. Or classic comedies. I love "Auntie Mame" with Rosalind Russell, or "How to Marry a Millionaire" with Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall, and Bette Davis. "Cheaper by the Dozen" (the original, not the Steve Martin mess), oh, there are so many more.

When I need to feel better, I'll watch a movie, curled up in my cushy chair or bed, and nibble on some indulgent snack. For a couple of hours, the world goes away.

Elizabeth Delisi said...

Oh yes, I love Clifton Webb movies like Cheaper By the Dozen and A Night to Remember. And there's one where he's a babysitter...Mr. Belvedere?

Liz

Heather Garcia said...

I am so ready for Spring too! Its going to be nice again this week, and I keep telling myself "spring is finally here to stay," but last time I said that, we got more snow. But here's to hoping!

Elizabeth Delisi said...

Oh yes, I think spring is finally coming. It's going to be 50 or so every day this week. The sun is shining right now and it's 53. Whoopee!