Monday, February 08, 2010

Monday Gripes 2/8/10

I know I'm not the only one with THIS gripe. Many of my favorite shows are on ABC. Come December, they disappeared. "Well," I told myself, "it's just because of the holidays and all the holiday movies and specials. They'll be back come January."

January came...and went. Most of those shows haven't returned. Heck, "Lost" didn't even start the season until February. Oy! And other shows are returning at the end of March...or later.

What's up with that?

It's not like there's a writer's strike this year. So what's their lame excuse? Are other networks doing this as well, or only ABC?

All I can hope is that this means they'll continue showing new episodes well into summer. Hmmpfff.

Another thing that bothers me is that no one writes letters anymore. I'm as guilty of that as the next person, I confess. Since the invention of the personal computer, people have been getting farther and farther away from the pen and paper. I'm not even sure anyone could read my handwriting anymore. (sigh)

Now, I know it's easier to pop open an e-mail program and type a note, or open up that IM box and "chat" away. But those things are ephemeral and once you close the box, it's gone. (Or once your computer crashes.)

I remember writing love notes to my then-boyfriend (now husband) and using scented stationery. I remember shopping for stationery, and there were lots of choices: floral and opulent, cream-colored and official-looking, or dotted with terminal kitten cuteness. I always had two or three boxes on hand and chose based on who I was writing to.

And when I received a letter...oh, that was special. I'd get a cup of tea, sit down in a comfy chair, and open the letter. What news would it contain? Questions for me to answer in my next letter? Jokes? Sad tales?

After reading it, I could save it in my desk drawer, to read and reread whenever the fancy struck me. Something permanent and real, to hold onto, something that symbolized a relationship between two people.

I guess I've talked myself into it...I'll have to go write someone a letter!

No comments: