Saturday, April 30, 2016

Z is for Zest

I thought about saying, Z is for Zombies, figuring that's a big deal right now. ;-) But zombies don't work with my theme.

So I am finishing up the challenge with Z is for Zest. Zest as in gusto, hearty enjoyment, immense satisfaction. That's exactly the feeling you want your reader to have when he/she has read the last word on the last page of your book and put it down with a satisfied sigh. Because if your reader has that feeling of zest, he/she will be on the lookout for your next book, and the next after that.

Today's Tarot deck is The Goddess Tarot. Here are a couple of sample cards from this deck:

1 

8 

Card images courtesy of Aeclectic Tarot

I asked the cards what kind of element is most important in the ending to my book, and how to entice a reader into buying my next book. The card I drew was  the Nine of Staves. This card indicates a task that's almost finished. So near, and yet so far! There's still much to accomplish before I'm through. 

This tells me I need to keep the suspense going until the last scene, last paragraph. The reader must be in some doubt about whether there will be a "happily ever after" ending or not right up until the end. That will leave my readers saying "Wow! That was an awesome book! Can't wait to read her next one."

I hope you've enjoyed this series of posts about using Tarot to develop your writing. I've had fun doing it. Try the Tarot with your writing...you'll be amazed at what you get!

No comments: