My section of “Write Great Fiction: Description & Setting” at Writer’s Digest University has been pushed back to start on May 26, so if you hurry, you can sign up for it!
It’s a great course for both beginner and experienced writers, with something for everyone. If you’ve never tried a Writer’s Digest University course, this is a great one to start with as it’s not too long and at a level that works for everyone.
Workshop Length: 8 weeks
You will learn:
- How to attune your writer's radar to interesting details and story ideas from real life
- How to balance showing and telling in constructing a convincing narrative voice
- How to build your fictional world and descriptions so they serve and illuminate character, motivation, tone, and theme
- How to engage the senses—and even allow them to cross and overlap—in order to form compelling, potent descriptions, and
- How to balance the familiar and the unfamiliar in description and setting in order to show the everyday in clear, and surprising, new ways
Who should take this course:
- Beginning writers who want to strengthen their description and setting skills
- Novel writers of any genre
- Short Story writers
- Creative Nonfiction writers
For more information, or to sign up for the course, go here: http://fwmedia.gosignmeup.com/dev_students.asp?action=browse&main=Online+Workshops&sub1=WGF%3A+Description+%26+Setting&misc=143
Hope to see you there!