Wednesday, April 06, 2016

E is for Edit





Today's topic is E for Edit. Editing your work is absolutely vital, and can come in several varieties. First is the self-editing/revising you do on your own manuscript. You may have trouble switching from creative mode to practical editing mode. But the more you do it, the better you'll get.

Second is the editing suggestions you receive from a critique partner(s). You may not agree with every suggestion, but it's to your benefit to consider each suggestion objectively. Your book has to resonate with readers, and critique partners are just that: readers. With specialized skills, true; but readers nonetheless.

Third is the editing you'll receive from your publisher in the form of comments from your editor, and eventually of a galley. You may not get the last word with this type of editing, but remember your publisher wants your book to sell...they're not against you.

Today's deck is The Tarot of Oz. Here are a couple of sample cards:


oz4cups
Images courtesy of Aeclectic Tarot

The card I drew today is the Eight of Cups. It shows a young woman standing in a doorway, surrounded by cups. This card indicates a need to allow a conclusion to take place. You can edit and edit and edit, and *never* feel it's done. But at a certain point you have to say, "It's finished," and stop compulsively going over and over it. Though it feels like a sacrifice to allow your story to be finished, and indeed you may feel a keen sense of loss when the final editing is over, you have to let go. Let your story find its wings in the hands of your readers.

6 comments:

Fran Clark said...

Hey - my E is editing, too. And I think we had the same D. Great minds, huh?
Fran
@FranClarkAuthor
Writing Women’s Fiction

Elizabeth Delisi said...

How cool! Definitely that proves we have great minds. ;-_

Yvonne Ventresca said...

I like the combination of writing and tarot! Fun. And yes, at some point, the editing must end!

Yvonne V

Anonymous said...

These are some great considerations. I usually don't have too much trouble switching from writing to editing mode. Then again I only write for my blog readers (and for myself).

Tamara Narayan said...

I love to edit more than facing a blank page during the "creation" process, and yes, I feel that I could edit forever. Thank goodness for deadlines.

Elizabeth Delisi said...

Yvonne, I'm finding it really fascinating to combine tarot with the creative energy of writing.

bloggingastrid, what do you do to switch? Any rituals?

Tamara, I agree about deadlines...otherwise I'd still be trying to make changes after the book is in print!