Monday, July 11, 2011

Hope for Soaps

My dear husband, bless him, brought home an article from the Wall Street Journal, as he knew I’d be interested.

You bet I am! It says the two soaps ABC is cancelling, “All My Children” and “One Life to Live,” have been licensed to Prospect Park, a company that produces original scripted shows shown strictly online. Prospect Park says they expect to pick up the story lines and continue from where they leave off.

Now, there are a lot of questions about an online show: will we have to watch it at a set time or can we view it any time of day? Can we copy/download it to view later? Can we get it through a game system, perhaps, to show on our big-screen televisions?

There is a suggestion that the “production budget” will be lower. I assume that means cheaper sets, budget wardrobe, fewer exotic locales, etc. Frankly, I don’t care. It’s the stories and characters that count. Erika Kane can wear a burlap bag and live in a cave, and I’d still watch every day.

So, I’m cautiously optimistic that the soaps I’ve watched for 30+ years will continue. And I’ll be right there watching for the next 30!

No comments: