Saturday, January 03, 2009

Writing Resolution of 2009

It's that time of year again, when everyone makes resolutions for the New Year. I used to always vow to eat right, exercise, and lose weight. But it never seemed to happen, and I'd only end up depressed. So I've given up on those resolutions. ;-) Actually, if I'd just do the darn exercise, the other two would be fine as I eat fairly healthily. But I've yet to find an exercise I like...other than knitting, which I'm not sure counts. I tried to talk my husband into getting one of those Wii game systems, along with a "Dancing With The Stars" game, figuring that would be wonderful exercise that I'd actually enjoy. But so far, it hasn't materialized and I think Santa's not bringing it. Bummer.

So I've decided that at least I can make a writing resolution. I didn't get much writing done this year, thanks to a heavy teaching schedule, moderate editing schedule, and the aforementioned aversion to exercise. (Did I mention that making myself write is hard work? And if it's hard work, it must be exercise? See paragraph one for why this resolution doesn't work.) However, I think a writing resolution might work if it's done the right way.

This year, I went to several "write-ins" for NaNoWriMo. While I didn't reach the goal of 50,000 words, still, most of the writing I got done during the year was at those write-ins. A couple of women I met at write-ins and I have gotten together several times since to do our own version of write-ins, and it's been fun and inspirational. So my new resolution for 2009 is that I'll try to stick with a schedule of at least one or two write-ins per month where I'll actually get some writing done!

And to further that end, I'm branching out into not just one, but two new pen names, to write stories for Ellora's Cave and Amber Quill Press's Heat line. So if you see something by Lila Duprés at Ellora's Cave, or something by Liselle Divine at Amber Quill...hey, that's me! Just writing away, trying to keep my resolution.

What are your resolutions for the new year? Here's hoping you keep them!

No comments: